If you are suddenly in pain from your heel, the first thing that comes to mind is typically plantar fasciitis. This foot condition is a widespread issue that is created by impact on the heels and can be caused by many situations such as having flat feet or being overweight.
Plantar fasciitis is a common condition that can occur in the heel area. This can be caused by several factors like injury, incorrect footwear, aging, and pregnancy. When you have plantar fasciitis, your plantar fascia (cushioning tissue) act overworked to absorb shock from your step.
The pain can be felt all day and go away only at night while you’re resting and can get worse after walking or standing for a long period of time. Plantar fasciitis is painful, but there are ways how sandals prevent this condition.
What is plantar fasciitis?
Plantar fasciitis is a common condition that involves inflammation of the plantar fascia, the thick tissue that runs along the bottom of your foot. The plantar fascia works like a spring, supporting your arch and connecting your heel bone to your toes.
Plantar fasciitis is also referred to as heel spurs since it often involves small calcium deposits on the edge of the heel bone. However, not everyone with plantar fasciitis has heel spurs. In fact, only about 20% of people with plantar fasciitis have this bony abnormality.
Most people develop plantar fasciitis from their activities or lifestyle choices. It’s most common in athletes who overuse their feet or who participate in sports that require running or jumping, such as tennis or basketball. It can also occur in people who are on their feet for long periods of time, such as nurses and teachers. Sometimes it can be caused by a sudden increase in activity level.
A sedentary person may develop plantar fasciitis following an increase in exercise or physical activity due to returning to work after being off sick, having a baby or taking care of older parents.
Common symptoms of plantar fasciitis
Common symptoms include: Pain in the heel area that extends into the ankle area Pain is most noticeable when you step on your heel, especially after getting up in the morning or after sitting for a long period at work or at home Pain when taking steps A burning sensation under your foot Burning sensation while walking and while standing
Causes of plantar fasciitis
- Overweight: Weight plays a major role in plantar fasciitis. As we gain weight, the body stores the extra fat in and around the feet. This can place pressure on the plantar fascia causing inflammation, soreness and pain.
- Wearing High Heels: High-heeled shoes put your body weight on the balls of the feet (the heel is off the ground). The higher your heels, the more weight is on your feet. A high heel does not allow you to use your leg muscles for support, which are normally used for foot support when standing and walking. The plantar fascia is designed to support your entire foot when you are standing or walking but it must support more of your body weight when you wear high-heeled shoes. This added pressure causes inflammation, soreness, and pain.
- Flat Feet or Low Arches: People with flat feet or low arches are more likely to develop plantar fasciitis because their arches do not provide as much support as people with normal arches do.
What to Look for in Sandals for Plantar Fasciitis
Are you suffering from Plantar Fasciitis? If so, you are probably looking for a pair of sandals to help alleviate the pain. The following list will help guide you in making a better choice when purchasing this type of footwear.
1. Pay Attention to Foot Arch: The first thing that you need to do is figure out what kind of arch that you have. Flat feet and low arches are the two types of the arch that are more prone to plantar fasciitis. For this reason, you want to try on your sandals and look at the bottom of them. Do they provide support? Is there a proper fit for your foot’s arch?
2. Strap Support: You’ll also want to make sure that these sandals provide good strap support for your ankles. You don’t want your ankle joints rolling and twisting as you walk or run in these types of sandals. This can cause further problems in your ankle joints, leading to future health issues like arthritis.
3. Check Styles: Just because the sandals provide support for flat feet doesn’t mean that they will look good on you or give you the right look that you are going for. Make sure that the style of the sandal works well with other clothing.
Top 10 best sandals for plantar fasciitis
- Plantar Fasciitis Sandals
These Plantar Fasciitis Sandals are perfect for spring, and can be worn with shorts, or even to the office! With comfort features that help keep pressure off your feet and joints, you can work hard and play hard. The thick straps are durable and will keep your feet from slipping out.
- These Plantar Fasciitis sandals are so comfortable, you’ll never have to take them off.
- The comfort system uses soft cushioning, innovative stretch technology, and a micro-foam foot bed to provide lightweight support and comfort.
- Created to let your feet breathe and move naturally, this sport sandal will help you stay comfortable all day long.
2. Sports Sandal for Plantar Fasciitis
Lightweight and supportive, the Teva Sports Sandal for Plantar Fasciitis is made for active lifestyles. This sturdy sandal is designed with an anatomical sports footbed and a molded polyurethane midsole to give your feet the surface area and support they need. To prevent injury, the sandal has a protective toe bumper and adjustable heel strap that helps to keep your feet in place no matter where you’re walking.
- This streamlined Sport Sandal for walking is a supportive, flexible, and durable companion for day after day on the trail.
- The upper features breathable, quick-dry earth smart recycled polyester webbing.
- A molded PU midsole cushions and supports mile after mile, even with a heavy pack.
- A Durabrasion sole provides traction on uneven terrain on the rugged trails. And when you’re ready to stop and smell the roses, a sticky Spider rubber outsole will keep you surefooted at every step.
3. Walking Sandal for plantar Fasciitis
The walking sandal for plantar fasciitis from soft is perfect for day-to-day wear, whether to work or errands, or even just a stroll in town. The foam-padded footbed and durable outsole work together to absorb shock and provide ultimate comfort to your feet. Enjoy all-day comfort with the proper walking sandal for plantar fasciitis.
- It has a shock absorbing sole that is perfect for your feet, it provides great comfort and pain relief.
- Made from high quality leather, this sandal has a smooth and supple feel while still retaining its stability.
- The footbed is fully cushioned and removable-this means that you can use your own orthotic devices to create the optimal fit for your feet.
- All Juzo walking sandals are manufactured with a highly durable rubber outsole, allowing you to navigate any terrain.
4. HushPuppies Sandal for Plantar Fasciitis
HushPuppies Sandal for Plantar Fasciitis is some of the best foot pain relievers available. Unlike other models of Hushpuppies that only feature simple arch support, these sandals use a special design meant to reduce stress across your plantar fascia and Achilles tendon.
- The Hushpuppies Sandal for Plantar Fasciitis offers orthopedic comfort and superb shock absorbency.
- Available in a wide array of exciting colors, including our popular Lyrical Shoes, this sandal comes in both low heel and high heel varieties.
- Both are highly fashionable and fine quality sandals, which offer orthopedic comfort and superb shock absorbency.
Hush Puppies Men’s Rawson Grady Fisherman SandalBuy Now
Hush Puppies Women’s Lyricale Qtr Strap PumpBuy Now
5. Dr. Comfort Breeze Sandals for Plantar Fasciitis
The Dr. Comfort Breeze sandal is another highly comfortable and supportive Fisherman’s style sandal ideal for conditions such as plantar Fasciitis, Hammertoe, Bunions, and Neuropathy. And they are made by the U.S. Podiatry experts that make the shoe inserts that your doctor recommends.
- These are medical-grade sandals that utilize a removable anatomically correct EVA insole designed by a podiatrist and custom podiatric orthotic devices to help restore proper and full foot function.
- These breathable sandals are available in seven different styles, including lace up and slip on options, with most styles being waterproof for use in swimming.
- These waterproof sandals have a smooth leather upper, open air construction and cushioned insole all combine to provide you with comfort and support while looking good in any setting.
Dr. Comfort Fisherman Men’s Therapeutic Diabetic Extra Depth Sandal LeatherBuy Now
Dr. Comfort Women’s Breeze Diabetic Fisherman Style Sandal: Coffee 10.5 Medium (A/B)Buy Now
6. Fisherman’s Sandal for plantar Fasciitis
The Orthofeet Alpine and Naples Fisherman-style sandals are two of our lightest and most durable sandals ever. They are ideal for those with plantar fasciitis and other foot conditions because they feature a shock-absorbing Ortho Cushioning system.
- Lightweight and durable, the Captain’s Sandals are a comfortable option for most outdoor activities.
- The Ortho Cushioning System adds just the right amount of shock absorbency and cushioned comfort.
- It accommodates a wider foot shape and foot deformities such as hammer toes and bunions.
Orthofeet Proven Heel and Foot Pain Relief. Extended Widths. Best Orthopedic Bunions Arch Support Diabetic Women’s Closed Toe Sandals NaplesBuy Now
Orthofeet Proven Heel and Foot Pain Relief. Extended Widths. Orthopedic Diabetic Men’s Arch Support Closed Toe Sandals AlpineBuy Now
7. Outdoor Sandal for Plantar Fasciitis
The Keen Newport H2 is a sandal that is ideal for plantar fasciitis sufferers. The contoured footbed and arch support provide the required support for plantar fasciitis and the TPU shank assists with stability. Keen has used polyester webbing that is also adjustable for the uppers, together with TPU for the shank and metatarsal ridge support. A hydrophobic mesh lining also assists with moisture control and comfort.
8. Birkenstock Milano Plantar Fasciitis Sandals
The Birkenstock Milano is a staple in comfort and support. A sure hit with people that are on their feet all day, the contoured cork and latex footbed provide excellent cushioning and support, while the flexible EVA sole ensures traction and shock absorbency.
A perfect fit can be achieved by the soft leather upper that is adjustable, as well as the leather ankle strap. The Birko-Flor™ footbed will keep your feet cool and dry, with a no-sew application process that has made this sandal an industry favorite. Choose between width options to get the perfect fit for you.
Birkenstock Milano Unisex Leather SandalBuy Now
Birkenstock Milano Unisex Soft Footbed Leather SandalBuy Now
9. Open Toe Sports Sandal for Plantar Fasciitis
The Teva Open Toe Design Sandal is an athletic and sporty-style sandal with a supportive footbed, cushioning, adjustable hook-and-loop closures for even more adjustability, a contoured EVA footbed for cushioning and comfort, and a durable high traction outsole.
The Textile and synthetic upper offer you hook and loop closures for adjustability. Added Shock Pads provide impact resistance in the heel and forefoot which is perfect for Plantar Fasciitis. These sandals are also available in different colors.
TEVA Men’s Strata Universal Durable Lightweight Quick-Drying Hiking SandalsBuy Now
Teva Women’s Verra SandalBuy Now
10. Plantar Fasciitis Dress Sandals
You have a lot of choices when you shop for dress sandals for men. The Clarks Un-Trek and Saylie Moon are more formal style sandals for all occasions that support your feet.
Each offers an adjustable sizing strap with the ability to add another sash strap around the instep to give the sandals a tighter fit. The Ortholite Footbed and Cushion soft technology footbeds provide comfort and support, while the flexible and shock-absorbing EVA sole helps absorb some of the impacts on your feet.
Now you know what to do in order to find the best sandals for plantar fasciitis. The key thing is to use first-hand reviews of others that detail how they were able to benefit from it. This should save you a great deal of time and allow you to get something that will no only work but also fit your needs perfectly.
Leave a Comment